Preparing for Colonoscopy
- DO NOT TAKE aspirin or anti-inflammatory medication such as Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Vitamin E and Ginko for 1 week before the procedure.
- Blood Thinners (e.g., Plavix or Coumadin etc.) must be stopped prior to the procedure. Please ask the doctor for specific instructions.
- Diabetes Medications – Take your morning dose the day before the colonoscopy but do not take your evening dose. Do Not take your diabetes medication the day of your colonoscopy. Check your blood sugar the morning of the procedure.
- Blood Pressure Medications – As per doctor's instruction.
- Please ask questions about other medications/supplements you may be taking.
- PLEASE DO NOT EAT NUTS OR SEEDS 7 DAYS BEFORE PROCEDURE
The day before the procedure
In the morning, prepare your TriLyte/ NuLytely with flavor packs solution according to the instruction on the package and refrigerate. Have a light breakfast (oatmeal, scrambled eggs, toast, bagel).
Have a clear liquid lunch. Clear liquids includes black coffee or tea (No dairy products), clear fruit juices(apple, white grape or white cranberry), light soup, broth or bouillon, non-red gelatin desert.
You should not eat any solid food after your clear liquid lunch.
At 4PM.- 1 Hour before consuming Trilyte, take 4 Ducolax (laxative) tablets (You can purchase Ducolax Tablets over the counter at your local pharmacy.
At 5PM- Begin drinking Trilyte/ NuLytely with flavor packs as instructed -8 oz. Every 10-15 min. until the bottle is empty. (Rapidly drinking a glassful is better than sipping an ounce or two at a time.
- You will have consumed several glassfuls before having the first loose, watery bowel movement.
- Initially, you may feel slightly bloated, but will become more comfortable as you continue to have bowel movements.
- It will take approximately 2-3 hours to finish the solution. Diarrhea will continue after you finish drinking the solution.
- DO NOT EAST ANYTHING ONCE YOU BEGIN DRINKING SOLUTION. If you become thirsty you may have a glass of apple juice or water once you have finished drinking the preparation. Nothing after midnight including water.
Day of the Procedure
You should arrive 30 Minutes before your scheduled appointment.
Your escort can either accompany you or pick you up after the procedure to assist you home. (Please limit your escort to one person.)
Although we try our best to keep on schedule, please note that endoscopic procedures cannot be rushed nor can we predict what will be found during a given procedure. Dr. Palma and the rest of the office staff appreciate your understanding and patience if your procedure is delayed.